Here comes another amazing "Summer Style Essentials" participant: Suzie of UrbanCountryStyle! I'm not sure how or when I came across the fabulous Suzie, but I follow her on all fronts- pinterest, instagram and her blog. I am pretty in awe of this woman. Not only is she super stylish, but she has an amazingly beautiful home (homes?) in Canada, is a great cook and a true gourmand in every sense of the word, and she loves a good cocktail/glass of wine as much as I do. Basically, I want to be Suzie when I grow up. I don't think that is too much to ask. Below are her picks (and super fun descriptions) of her top 5 summer picks for under $100!
1. A FAB maxi dress. It's my go-to piece again this year. It can take you from the beach out to dinner, and everywhere in between! This one from F21 is very SuzieStyle with the Aztec-ish print and colorful pattern! I pair mine with everything from sandals and wedges to cowboy and biker boots. Add a cute thrifted denim jacket and you are uber cool. (please check your thrift store for the jacket before you even think of buying new-I find them for 5 bucks all the time!)
2. Joe Fresh "Fresh Glass" lipgloss!! At $6 each or 2/$10 they're a steal and just as good as MAC Lipglass if you ask me! I love that JF has ventured into cosmetics!
3. A GREAT sunscreen! Between skin cancer and wrinkles, I just don't get the Sun Goddess addiction. And with Neutrogena's fantastic spray-on sunscreen line you never need to wear that sticky stuff again...or require an extra set of hands to do your back if you don't want to. I love this for how light it is, yet it is powerful stuff. It allows me to cover up without having to "cover up". I use anything from SPF 45 to 100 depending on what part of the world I am in.
4. A basic black sandal sans the platform. After being in Europe so much over the past year, I'm thinking platforms are passe' and this is the direction I have been seeing so much of. I have them in orange for this spring and summer, but if you're trying to stretch your wardrobe dollars I'd choose basic black.
5. A pair of great boyfriend jeans! Another repeat from last year! And I think these will take you well into fall and winter this year too. I love skinnies, but I believe boyfriends are more flattering on far more figures than just the stick figures skinnies require! They're also cooler in the summer! I'd wear them with those basic black sandals and a sheer blouse slightly tucked at the front...no belt! In the fall pair with booties or a pair of pretty pointy-toed pumps to update this trend.
But they're also great with ballet flats or a cute embellished sandal! And I'd turn to Joe Fresh to pick a pair up. You American ladies may not be familiar with this brand, but we've been fortunate to have them up here in Canada for YEARS in one of our local grocery stores. SeriousSuzieScore...go out for milk, come home with jeans!