There is no denying we are deep in the dog days of summer! Whew, it has been a scorcher this week, with our temps up in the 100*s -today is said to reach 105. On these days I wish I could just head out in my swimsuit with my own personal mister attached to me somehow. Luckily I'm modest and personal misters aren't readily available (or are they?) so that crazy show hasn't happened yet. Instead I wear a trusty pair of shorts and a plain cotton tee or tank, and then rely on a few key accessories and makeup choices to bring that extra punch to my wardrobe. Read on for some cool, no-fuss ideas, all which come in at under $50!
1. A cute little straw hat is number one for me when I head outside for any length of time. This is usually when I am out in the backyard or at the pool with my kids. Even if I'm in dappled shade I keep one on for extra protection.
2. At the end of a long, hot day, nothing feels nicer than a cool shower and a scrub down with this Coconut Body Scrub from The Body Shop. This organic, creamy scrub helps replenish your skin's moisture after being out in the drying sun-and smells divine!
3. My favorite nail polish this summer has been Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri in "Lively Lilac". I wouldn't say it is a traditional summer polish color, but I have found it is looking great with my sun-kissed skin (although I'm still on the paler end of the spectrum!), and goes surprisingly well with lots of the bolder summer colors I wear. Plus, the quick-drying formula is perfect for these on-the-go days. You can see the color in action on my nails in this instagram pic.
4. When it's hot out, I don't even want a big purse weighing me down, so a small little crossbody bag like this one is the way to go.
5. I'll be the first to admit-I still love flip flops. They are just so easy to slip on and go. It's the closest thing you can get to being barefoot! These sweet little jelly sandals really only have the added step of a strap on the side, but that somehow makes them feel a little bit more put-together than flips.
6. A simple but bold ring on your finger will always up the style without upping the fuss.
7. After you take that nice shower I talked about, put these cooling Cucumber Eye Pads on your peepers to help soothe tired eyes and reduce puffiness. Because nothing gets you quite as exhausted as a day in the sun!
1. Just when I start to get real mad at the ridiculously high temperature, I stop and try to remind myself how much I really do love summer. This little Rebecca Minkoff pouch works as a cute reminder as well.
2. A bold geometric necklace in summery shades of blue is the perfect pick-me-up to your plain white tee!
3. These simple and modern gold earrings will take you from summer days driftin' away to-but..oh-those summer nights in one fell swoop!
4. Makeup gets pretty minimal for me right now-I don't like to feel like my face is melting off. However a little lipstick never hurts, and I've been dying to try this gorgeous shade, Fearless Fuschia by L'Oreal , since my girl Lindsay recommended it. (She's the lipstick queen you know).
5. I swear by this detox facial spray from Super by Dr. Perricone. It is said to have ingredients that detoxify the skin and reduces pores, but I love the cool, refreshing feel it gives after just a few quick sprays. It's like a little burst of energy in a bottle, and I usually reach for a few squirts during my afternoon slump. Jaclyn gave me the brilliant idea to refrigerate it, after I saw an insta where she did the same to a similar product.
6. Big shades! Enough said.
7. Arm parties are fun and all, but a single bold bangle is all I've been up to sporting right now. Pick a color, any color, of these from Swell Caroline and you are good to go. (Make sure to sign up for an account to get $5 off your first purchase!)
8. No summer is complete without a tote big enough to carry all your beach/lake/day-trip essentials. These minty fresh stripes are the ultimate!
So what do you think? Is it super hot where you are right now? I know my friends in SF are enjoying temps in the 60's, which I can't even fathom. Lucky Ducks. What are your tips and tricks for beating the heat?